What You Are In For
Going Where You Haven’t Gone Before
In modern life, stuck inside four walls, we have lost the vital sense of adventure that come from engaged encounters with people and things beyond our control.
When you say a ‘wholehearted yes’ to going where you haven’t gone before
you position yourself to better respond to opportunities that come your way
to step into your life as it were an actual adventure.
This web course sees to it that you have every opportunity to explore new experiential ground at that essential intersection between your own interior life and the world around you. In this way, you will inevitably become newly awakened, aware, enlivened and engaged way of being in the world.
Perhaps you may have long been ready go where you have been before, but now you are about to go there in a whole new way, with the proper supports and challenges available to you, that will allow you to recognize capacities and traits within yourself that have been dormant, under-utilized or resisted.
We make use of poetry and prose to inspire us to go where we haven’t yet been, and Rumi is one of our favorite and ageless poets who help us to go beyond our usual selves:
I live my life in growing orbits
which move out over the things of the world.
Perhaps I can never achieve the last,
but that will be my attempt.
I am circling around God, around the ancient tower,
and I have been circling for a thousand years,
and I still don’t know if I am a falcon, or a storm,
or a great song.
This is what Campbell called your “bliss”. Your bliss is that which has always brought you alive and always will, in one form or another. It is what you loved to do as a child when you weren’t obligated to do other things for the adults in your world.
Your sense of bliss is what enthralled you, and first opened you to a sense of mystery, wonder and love as an adolescent. It is what inspired you and what informed your ideals, values and direction in life as a young adult. And it is the very thing that wants to speak to you now, in your present stage of life.
One way of understanding your relationship to bliss is to consider the notion of a thread, one that has always run through your life. Perhaps another William Stafford poem may speak to you:
The Way It Is
There’s a thread you follow. It goes among
things that change. But it doesn’t change.
People wonder about what you are pursuing.
You have to explain about the thread.
But it is hard for others to see.
While you hold it you can’t get lost.
Tragedies happen; people get hurt
or die; and you suffer and get old.
Nothing you do can stop time’s unfolding.
You don’t ever let go of the thread.
An Orientation to Finding Your Bliss
The thread Stafford speaks of in his poem is your deepest joy and aliveness, that which goes with you throughout the course of your life. The thread is an intriguing metaphor that keeps you connected you to your bliss. It helps you to see how your bliss may in fact already be woven into your life, and perhaps you just have not been aware or awake enough to its presence.
We all have, at one point or another, let go of the thread.
Or we put it on the shelf, for another time in our lives. Or we gave up on our thread due to heartache, failure or disappointment. Or perhaps we have always held the thread close to our hearts, but lacked the initiative, support or encouragement to take the risk of pursuing what brings us bliss. Or perhaps we have given our bliss intermittent attention and pursuit, but have steered or distracted ourselves away from a more wholehearted investment or involvement.
One of the hardest things to face in our adult lives is that we may have not loved enough that which we truly love.
Or we may not have done enough of what we love more than anything. It seems that deep desire and deep resistance are always intertwined. Then there is also the tendency to view what we love most as a luxury and not a necessity.
Many of us do not want to face how our own deepest fears have held us back from that which brings us most alive and gives us the most joy and satisfaction. But it is essential to face our blocks in order to create forward movement and momentum towards what matters most to us.
Many of us never realize just how close we are to entering into our bliss. We instead tend to perceive ourselves to be far from it, or no longer having what it takes to find, follow or act upon what would bring us vitality, meaning and wonder. We believe that we’re too late in the game to start now.
Many of us think our bliss is to be found in far away places, or in super-human deeds, or in extra-ordinary circumstances. But this is simply not the reality of bliss. It is awaiting us right now, seeded within the ordinary circumstances and happenings of the life we currently have.
But to fully engage with our bliss, we need new resources, ongoing support and authentic, real-life challenges to go where we haven’t gone before. Awakening the Hero will provide you access to many of these essential resources, giving the support you need to face the challenge of going where you haven’t gone before.
These new internal resources are what the new online course Awakening the Hero: Calling Forth Our Bliss Into Action will provide you with. This four-month online journey will:
- Be both a vessel and a vehicle that calls forth inner resources and unrealized potential that otherwise might remain dormant.
- Re-create a sense of adventurethat enlivens your way of going through day-to-day life. If nothing else, this has the potential to be a whole lot of fun!
- Allow you to see new opportunities and new possibilitiesin places where you might not have recognized them before – and then step into them!
- Help you to recognize which phase of the hero’s journey myth you may currently be encountering, and encourage you to embrace its teachings, and share your own unique experiences with others.
- Connect you with other kindred companions who will be taking up their own enlivening adventures. You will be delighted and surprised at the kindness and humanity of otherswho will travel along with you.
- Offer you support, encouragement and inspirationas you share your own adventures, and participate in the adventures that others share with you.
- Provide you will focused readings, wisdom teachings, text messages, webcasts, website and journaling resources, and a private Facebook Page – all to help you focus, commit and move forward with meaningful action steps that bring you alive.
- Provide you with the necessary challenges that engage your gifts, talents and loves more fullyand in new ways, and to become more responsible for what you are capable of accomplishing and enjoying.